I get this question often. Other than the fact that I’m in
the Peace Corps, many have little to no idea what I actually do on a day-to-day
basis. Part of this is the fact that so much is going on, it’s hard to find the
words to describe all that’s happening. The other part of this is that my role
seems to be continually changing, being dreamt up, and given a dose of reality.
As I crossed the threshold of one year in Guyana, I figured it was high time
that I at least try and describe my working life here.
I was placed at an NGO called Mibicuri Community Developers,
which is the only NGO in the broader community of Black Bush Polder. The
organization provides a variety of social services such as counseling, life
skills training, banking, and a preschool.
It exists to combat some of the social issues in the area,
which includes high rates of suicide (we’re talking about some of the highest
in the world), domestic violence, poverty and alcoholism.
Our current project focuses on gender based violence (GBV).
In Guyana this widespread phenomenon isn’t created in a vacuum. The
aforementioned social issues (plus others) are all contributing factors for the
high prevalence and acceptability of GBV in BBP.
My role in the office is part tech support, part technical
writer, part workshop instructor, and part smiling and nodding white girl. I still find the roles I’ve stepped
into here quite ironic. One year ago I actively avoided copying machines. Now I
regularly do “maintenance” on ours with my Leatherman. One year ago I struggled
with all forms of writing and was very self-conscious about others reading it.
Now, I write something almost daily that is designed for an external audience.
One year ago I was always the last person in class to do their presentation. Now I speak in front
of large crowds on a semi-regular basis and have given more than one impromptu
speech.
It’s amazing what one year of mud, sweat, and tears can do
in a person.
No comments:
Post a Comment